Friday, July 20, 2012

Homemade Liquid Laundry Soap

While browsing through Pinterest, I found a recipe for a "homemade" liquid laundry detergent from the Duggars blog. I was completely AMAZED that you can actually make laundry detergent and work in my HE top-loader washer. I did my research with this recipe to make sure it would be safe to use in my HE washer, since my husband was a little lot hesitant to put anything that wasn't Tide on our 1 year old washer. Anyway, after I found out it would be safe, I convinced him. I was so ecstatic that the next day I rushed to Walmart and bought everything I needed to make it. (Although, I had recently purchased a 1.17 gallon of Tide detergent for $17.97 dollars + taxes, I knew it wouldn't last long. I was right, two months later it was GONE.) It was now time to make my own detergent, but I didn't expect it to be so easy!



I found everything listed in Walmart except for the essential oil, I purchased that on Amazon.com. I found the bar soap, washing soda and borax in the laundry aisle and the five gallon bucket by the paint aisle.




  • Fels-Naptha bar soap (1) 1 dollar
  • Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (1 cup) 3 dollars
  • Borax (1/2 cup) 3 dollars
  • Essential Oil (50 drops/optional) 8 dollars
  • Five Gallon Bucket (It will make 10 gallons of detergent) 5 dollars

First thing is to grate the bar soap. I used a cheese grater, but I made the mistake of grating it on the thickest part so it took the longest to dissolve. I recommend grating it very finely so it will dissolve faster. It took me about 15 minutes, stirring the whole time.

Next is putting 4 cups of tap water onto a pot and adding the grated soap, stir till all the chucks are dissolved. In the min-time, have the water running if it takes a while for the water from the faucet to heat up and fill only half of the five gallon bucket with hot water first.


Stir in the melted soap to the bucket of hot water, add 1 cup of Super Washing Soda, and 1/2 cup of Borax.


Fill bucket to the top with hot water and stir well. Place lid and let it sit overnight to thicken.


Once it's gelled, add around 50 drops of any essential oil and stir.


Lastly, mix one part of detergent in a container and another one part water. Their is 16 cups in one gallon, so mix 8 cups of detergent and 8 cups of water. I used a giant funnel to help me pour it in the container that has had been cleaned. It should make 10 gallons of detergent.



If you want, decorate an old detergent container and done!


*I use 1/4 cup for my top loader HE washer machine. That makes 640 loads! It wouldn't hurt to experiment around.

I spend about $17.97 before taxes every two months on detergent a year. That means I spend $107.82 a year alone. The crazy thing is I only spent roughly around $20 dollars the first time including the bucket and essential oil to make the homemade liquid laundry soap, next time I run out I will only have to buy the bar for 97 cents in Walmart. Now, THAT's savings in my book. :)

Thanks for reading and happy savings!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...